Saturday, March 29, 2008

California 70.3

I must admit that I was very nervous for this half about a week out. After my not-so-great marathon experience earlier this year, I was worried that I might again suffer from IT Band issues. However, as the race neared I became more calm and was actually looking forward to it the day before.

I enjoyed the event very much and finished without issue. While I missed my time goal by 47 seconds, I was still pleased with my race.

While waiting for my wave to start, I saw not only my coach but his significant other come ripping out of the water! That set the tone for a good day.

The water wasn't exactly warm, but compared to Aquatic Park it was steamy. The swim never excites me, but it wasn't too bad. I did realize that I need to spend some more time in the pool. Faking the swim during Ironman is not going to work.

While the bike course was a bit windy, I found myself feeling stronger and stronger as the ride progressed on, which excited me. At around mile 45 I started passing people right and left, and loved every minute of it. While I knew most would pass me on the run, it was still fun.

I was glad I hadn't researched the course before the race, as if I had known the run was an out-and-back and then the same out-and-back again I would not have been thrilled. I realized this was the set up about a quarter of a mile into my 13.1 mile run. However, the set-up allowed for me to spend the first lap watching for friends and teammates, which made the run almost fun!

I was thrilled to discover just how many GGTC teammates were competing and was able to say hello to everyone! I also had the opportunity of meeting a fellow Blazeman Warrior from back East who was so complementary of GGTC and our club's hosting of the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon that I intend to share that story with the Club's Board at our next Board meeting.

My favorite moment of the race was running with a gentleman named Marcus currently serving in the Army in Kuwait City. We ran together for about five miles. Marc made my race. It was his first half Ironman distance triathlon and I found his determination inspiring. Marcus' determination is something that I will keep with me as motivation in my Ironman journey.

I was so excited to see Paul and Dian as I neared the finish line. I crossed the finish line with a smile on my face and was ecstatic about my race when Chris found me shortly after my finish.

Chris and I were thrilled to discover that our coach had in come in 9th!

I am pleased with my performance and am looking forward to a season of personal success.

I would also like to congratulate Dian and Chris for their amazing performances!

1 comment:

Rick Gaston said...

No wonder I missed this post. I was busy checking out the pics at Guru's website. Anyway glad you had a good race and it was so awesome being at your guys cabin this weekend. Cabin 2 rocked!