Sunday, March 16, 2008

Superheroes and Villians

One of my colleagues is famous for his annual costume birthday celebration. Last year's theme was Gilligan's Island and my friend Elisa and I went as palm trees.

This year's theme was Superheroes and Villains.

This is a highly competitive event. Trophies are given out for the best costumes. Last year our palm tree numbers won "most outrageous." The year before, at my colleague's 80's themed party, I won "most authentic" with my Madonna-esque number that included crimped hair.

This year's theme proved to be challenging -- what could we go as that would not be repeated by others? It came to us in a blinding flash! He-Man and She-Ra.

I have never had so much fun putting together a costume. Five stores over the course of a few days and we had the makings for greatness. Getting ready for the party was a mad-dash of assembly, as we were not allowed to engage in party-related activity until our workout was done (which was a long one!).

When He-Man put on his wig -- I laughed so hard I cried.

Walking down the street in Pacific Heights was entertaining, as many commented, yet when we arrived in the Castro for the party, no one looked twice.

The party was a success, as He-Man and She-Ra were awarded the trophy the Most Elaborate costume, and were also crowned the overall champions!

Next year we have a title to defend...

6 comments:

Michele R. Unger said...

OMG! I think I just hurt myself laughing! GREAT costumes, especially the wig. What I wouldn't have given to have been behind you on your walk to the party....Thanks for sharing.
Love you.
Mom

MomPhD said...

Okay, I just sprayed a mouthful of coffee all over my monitor.

You owe me a laptop, She-Ra.

Grove Street Journal said...

You two just made me laugh so hard with your comments that water came out my nose...

Rick Gaston said...

Is it wrong I guessed He-Man before reading the story?:) Awesome costumes.

Rick Gaston said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grove Street Journal said...

I love that you knew it was He-Man! We knew we were in good shape when we were walking out to the car and someone said, "It's He-Man!" SO FUNNY.