Thursday, February 21, 2008

Cakes and Cupcakes

Lately I have found that I need to do SOMETHING after work that does not include the pool, running or spinning. I found the perfect activity -- a six-week baking class! I love to bake.

My friend Ashli introduced me to the Tante Marie Cooking School in San Francisco and their offering of a series of classes on baking cakes and cupcakes, taught by Meg Ray of the Miette Bakery in the Ferry Building. Miette's treats are considered to be some of the best in the City, so I could not pass up the opportunity to take this class.

The first class this week was so much fun. Week one was pound cake. I must admit I have never before made a pound cake, so that was a new experience. We made two types of pound cakes and madelines (which did not last long after I had departed the class).

I am very much looking forward to the series, particularly the decorating classes, as one of my not-so-secret goals in life is to become a master cake decorator on top of being a world-renowned political law attorney.

9 comments:

MomPhD said...

Um, yummy! Are you going to be FedExing everything down here for me to taste?

Pretty pease? I'll give you a quarter!

Grove Street Journal said...

Ha ha ha... not likely, but MAYBE, just MAYBE, if you are really nice, I will bring you a treat next time I am down. : )

Michele R. Unger said...

Well, no, silly, Jen is sending all the samples to her MOTHER, who she adores...not her silly sister! Madelaines are my favorite....

Grove Street Journal said...

You're both in trouble, because I discovered that another likes madelines as well... they lasted a VERY short while. ; )

Unknown said...

Can I put in an order for some pastries for Wild Flower Training Weekend? :-)

Grove Street Journal said...

Ant, you KNOW I will be bringing something! : )

Rick Gaston said...

Laying down the law - sweetly.

I'll take some of Anthony's pastries. He doesn't have to know. Pass them to me while he's out riding:)

Grove Street Journal said...

Rick, I will always sneak you treats. ; ) Ssshhhh.... don't tell. ; )

yaiAnn said...

Oh my... looks like there's a baking gene in the GGTC Social Directors. hehehe hehehe.. we'll have to talk pastries instead of evite next time.