Sunday, April 13, 2008

Did you know?

Marin County is a nuclear weapon-free county.

I learned this yesterday as I cycled back into the county on my way back from Petaluma. There's a sign, in the middle of nowhere. I found it incredibly funny.

This weekend was a beast.

Saturday entailed what was supposed to be a 6.0 hour bike ride. Chris and I had made plans to do the ride with Paul and Dian, who had a 5.0 hour ride, so we cycled from San Francisco to meet them in Marin. We met up in Mill Valley and headed north, until we hit downtown Petaluma. Now, just a few weeks ago a die-hard triathlete was telling us that he had cycled from SF to Petaluma and back and I thought he was crazy. And here I was doing the exact same thing.

We ended up riding from SF to Mill Valley to Nicasio to the Cheese Factory to Petaluma to Dillion Beach to Tomales Bay to San Geranimo to Mill Valley.

It was a beautiful ride, but BLAZING hot. I didn't drink enough water during the day and it started to get to me at about mile 80. I didn't feel under-fueled, just hot and not happy. I always learn something about myself on each of these rides. The lesson from this weekend -- drink more water.

We ended up riding farther than I ever have at once -- 108.5 miles.

I was so tired when we got back. I ended up sleeping almost 12 hours Saturday night and then needed a nap this morning after breakfast!

Today consisted of a really really really long swim and a run. I am very tired, but feel accomplished having completed a really tough week of training.

2 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

Don't look now but ya'll are die-hard triathletes; Paul, Dian, Chris and yourself. It was hot yesterday. I drank lots in my race and it still wasn't enough, I was slightly behind the whole day. Today I sat in Dolores park with friends drinking beers. Oh I thought of you guys, yes I did.

Michele R. Unger said...

Darling Girl, you are truly something else. I fee like I need to go lie down after reading about your weekend! I just fought with the Aga (the pilot light is out)....I was in sloth mode all weekend long. I enjoyed it, too! Hope you are hydrated and catching up on your rest and that tax day isn't too horrible for you.
Love and hugs,
Mom