Saturday, April 26, 2008

Silverado Trail

The Silverado Trail is apparently the place to ride the weekend before Wildflower.

Jake, Chris and I had decided to ride up 28 mile-ish stretch of rolling road from Napa to Calistoga a few weeks ago to coincide with a barrel tasting event at the Nickel and Nickel winery.

Many others from our triathlon club had the same idea, as we saw many familiar faces while on our ride.

Silverado Trail is a great place to ride as it has a wide shoulder, the pavement is good for most of the ride and it is a relatively pleasant out and back. It's also a favorite for those training for Ironman events, as if you do it twice you have essentially done the IM distance. (Case in point, I saw my dear friend Elisa out there with another GGTCer doing a double out and back. They are doing IM Brazil next month.)

It was such a beautiful day for a ride -- drastically different than the last time I was out there and almost froze to death.

We had a great ride. Jake and Chris got to catch up and I had a solid ride in my zones.

Following our ride we headed to the barrel tasting event. My wine tasting ended up being more of a cheese tasting, which was fabulous, as I love cheese! It was a perfect day.

4 comments:

yaiAnn said...

I love that Calistoga truck!

Grove Street Journal said...

I thought it was the coolest thing!

I now want to get a huge group of people up there and take a group photo on it. :)

Rick Gaston said...

Sounds like a perfect day; warm and sunny, a good ride, friends and wine. Perfect! Jake had given me one of those bottles of Pinot he brought to WFTW, so good. Guy knows his wine.

Grove Street Journal said...

Rick, did you know that the wine Jake brough was from his family's winery?

Jake does know his wine. Thank goodness at least one of us did.