Saturday, July 5, 2008

Cuatro de Julio

One of my friends from GGTC had a wonderful 4th of July party - a Mexican themed "Cuatro de Julio" potluck.

It was a fabulous party! Actually, the whole day was fabulous - slept in, made breakfast, watched a movie, baked some Mexican Wedding Cakes (we were charged with a Mexican themed dessert) and then went to the party. It was so lovely to be so lazy!

I need to snap out of my laziness, however, as it has dawned on me that I have a race in less than two weeks! A half Ironman no less! When did a half become something I blow off?

The Cuatro de Julio event was perfect for many reasons -- the food, friends and lively conversation. I found it incredibly entertaining that at about 7:55 pm many started looking at their watches. Each time I noticed this I wondered if I had a cohort in crime to watch the Olympic track and swim trials? Sure enough, at exactly 8 pm, about ten of us left the festivities and congregated in front of the television to watch Michael Phelps break another world record. I love the Olympic trials!

My favorite moment of the night - four triathletes trying to convert 10,000 meters into miles. How long did it take us to figure out 10,000 meters was a 10K... talk about embarrassing!

5 comments:

yaiAnn said...

I'm so sad I missed out on all the fun! Did you save me a cookie?

Grove Street Journal said...

Unfortunately, my friend, the cookies did not last long. I didn't even get one!

You were missed!

Ashli Reitz said...

That is so funny about the 10,000 Meters. I sat watching too and scratched my head a few time trying to figure that out. Only to look it up on line and feel like a complete fool... duh 10k.

Michele R. Unger said...

You look so happy!

Rick Gaston said...

Thankfully I never have to try and convert 10,000 meters since you guys already did it for me! I like the black and white photos, although my favorite is Chris treating you like a lollipop.

You start blowing off half's after Ironmans, especially when they are maintenance/training races:)