Sunday, July 20, 2008

Vineman

When I signed up for Vineman this year I wondered if it would be too soon after Ironman to do a half.

The answer would be no, I believe, if you didn't have a job that eats away every day and night of the month of July, prohibiting you from working out.

I did exactly four workouts between Ironman and Vineman 70.3 - one 30 minute computrainer workout, one 3 mile run, one 5 mile run and a relatively normal 3 hour bike ride. One workout per week is not the best pre-race training, as I am sure my coach would agree.

I was relatively calm heading into this race, partly because this was my third year in a row, partly because I am coming off a much longer race, and partly because I just didn't have time to think about it.

I was fine for the swim and bike portions of the race. I actually felt GREAT on the bike and was able to meet my goal bike time. The run, ah the run (is this sounding familiar?)... I was running just fine until 6 and a half miles into the 13.1 mile run, when my body decided it was done for the day. Done, done, done. I was tired and not feeling so great. I kept thinking that I really should have found some time to get some long runs in, but that it just hadn't been possible with work.

The GGTC aid station was a great boost at mile 4 and at mile 9, as it's always fun to see your teammates and friends. Ashli, thank you for your support and for recognizing I was not in my usual mood to chat. You know me well...

When I crossed the finish line, I found Chris, Jake and Jake's parents cheering me on. I laughed and said I had realized during the run that you just can't fake a half marathon. This realization has motivated me to get moving in my marathon training after this crazy month is over!

All and all, it was a great day full of friends and loved ones. Dian has already asked if I will be doing it again next year...


(This photo is of my friend Sam volunteering at a prior race. It was featured on this year's race website and I laughed everytime I visited the webpage. Sam's famous!)

5 comments:

Michele R. Unger said...

Glad you are done with the race and glad you didn't hurt yourself. It must have been very frustrating not to have had time to do any real training. I know how that would bother you!

The Twins are home as of this afternoon. Haven't seen them yet...wanted to give them all time to just be a family before we descend upon them.

Can't wait for next month and your visit!

Love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Wish I could race on 3 workouts in a month...

Grove Street Journal said...

Ant, I don't recommend it. ; )

Rick Gaston said...

Well Jennie, you were not just racing on 3 workouts but from all your training and racing an Ironman. I'm glad you felt great out there. I was a bit worried since IMCDA was just last month. You're fitness level is at an all time high.

Please do get some rest and good active recovery. The year is still young!

Grove Street Journal said...

And I still have to train for my marathon... ; )