Monday, June 30, 2008

Reflections on my Ironman Journey

"The sacrifices we made for Ironman are actually rewards in disguise." - Chris Skelton

Chris is absolutely right.

We made many sacrifices: time with family and friends, time for us, work, life... much of our lives were put on hold, particularly as race day approached and our training volumes increased.

Over the past year I learned that Ironman isn't about race day - it is about the journey that takes you there.

What a year it was. I fell in love while training for Ironman. I found myself in the hospital while training for Ironman. I grew closer to the most amazing people training for Ironman - Chris, Dian, Paul, Jake, Ryan, Ashli, Elisa, Rick, Kara, Rangsiwan, Jessica, Julia, Sam and all the rest of my GGTC teammates. I broke my elbow training for Ironman. Most of all, I learned much about me.

During my Ironman swim I thought back to about 15 months ago when I found myself sitting down to dinner in Santa Barbara with five people that I had only recently met, the night before doing my first century ride in over a year -- the Solvang Century. I wasn't even sure I could do a 100 miles at that point, as it had been a while.

Mark, D'Anza, J.P, Janet and Jim were all talking about the Ironman race they were training for, Ironman Coeur D'Alene. Mark was talking about training and testing and blood tests... I had no idea what he was talking about. I felt like the outcast at the table, but recall thinking to myself that these people were so amazing, as they were training for an Ironman! There was no way I could do an Ironman...

One year later, I found myself in Santa Barbara, the night before the Solvang Century, talking about the same things - training, blood tests, thresholds... concepts I was very familiar with. A century was no longer daunting and I was actually looking forward to it.

Ironman has indeed been a rewarding experience for me. I learned so much about myself while training - my perseverance, will, desire, dedication and my strength. These are lessons that will carry me through the rest of my life - in athletics, in my career, and in life generally.

I was inspired by many along the way - my coach, my family, my friends - but mostly by Jon "The Blazeman" Blais.

The day after the race I was already thinking about what Ironman I wanted to do next. I think I have decided on IM Canada. Probably not next year, as I have some living to do, but maybe in 2010.

I look forward to seeing who I am in 2010.

In the mean time, many have asked if I will continue to blog now that my first IM adventure has come to an end. While I may not update as frequently, my season is not yet over, so there will be updates. Jessica is right - there is life after Ironman!

Next up, Vineman 70.3 on July 20th, followed by my first sprint distance triathlon in years - the Malibu Triathlon in September. My final event for the year - the Nike Women's marathon in October. No rest for the weary, or those who clearly have problems not signing up for races...

No comments: