Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Motivation for CIM


I had the pleasure of meeting former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee at a political event a few years ago.

Everyone who spoke with him asked about his intentions of running for President in 2008. You could sense his surprise when we met and I commented on how inspired I was by an article that had recently been published in Runner's World about his commitment to improving his physical health and his subsequent loss of 110 pounds.

The Runner's World article addressed the fact that then-Governor Huckabee had been diagnosed with adult-onset diabetes and that if he did not lose weight, he would continue on the fast track to death. That diagnosis, along with the obesity related death of a former Arkansas Governor, promoted Governor Huckabee to make changes in his life to both his eating and exercise habits.

Governor Huckabee started walking, then running and ultimately became a marathoner.

The article resonated with me, as at that time I had recently begun running again after years of my own unhealthy habits and had, a few months prior, trained for and completed my first half marathon.

Governor Huckabee and I sat down and had a long chat about running. He told me about how the first time he tried to "run" -- he made it a few steps and had to stop. Eventually, he was able to run around the grounds of the Governor's Mansion -- once. Then he found he could do it twice. He surprised himself when he discovered that the grounds were not enough.

I had personally experience this phenomenon, as someone who had run, a lot, in college and then fell away from it during graduate school and the first few years of my career. Getting back into running had been challenging and we talked about how to motivate oneself.

Governor Huckabee told me a story about his first marathon -- and how he motivated for that race. He explained that he had made a wristband, as many do for pacing purposes, but rather than listing goal paces and times, his wristband listed 26 numbers with 26 corresponding names. He continued that he dedicated each mile of that race to an individual -- someone who had inspired him, touched him, or motivated him. The Governor stated there was no way he would stop running until he crossed the finish line knowing that he would be quitting on whomever that mile was dedicated to. How would he live with himself if he had to explain that he had deserted that person?

That conversation has stayed with me for years. I recently shared it for the first time and upon reflection, decided to follow suit for my first marathon -- California International Marathon. I find motivation and inspiration in the little things.

I have started to think about those who inspire me, those who motive me and those who I live for. I can tell already that it is going to be quite difficult to put together my list...

4 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

You know if the list surpasses 26 there's always the 50k, the 50-mile. Awww just being a smart a**.

That's a great story. I didn't get into running until 8 years ago. I still remember my baby steps. I remember celebrating having run 39 minutes, 4 more than the last previous time. I still remember having finally broken the 10 minute mile after starting at 11 or walking really funny after my first 11 mile run. Good times.

Grove Street Journal said...

You and Sarah both!

I sent Sarah the Headlands Hundred photos I took of you and at the aid station and she responded that I needed to sign up for an ultra.

Ha! I think I need to a marathon first. ; )

Rick Gaston said...

I forgot to tell you. Sarah sent me one of your photos that you took of me. I don't think she realized we were friends.

In any case I think your volunteer work gets you a free pass to an event and I would start with something more manageable like a 15k or 25k, probably be good for your run training. Angel Island 50k is coming up at the end of Sept and the 25k is a great balance of road and trail.

Michele R. Unger said...

Jen, what a wonderful read! I remember when you told me about meeting Gov. Huckabee, but this is the first time you shared the story about his 26 letters on his writstband for the marathon. Inspiring! And while your old, round mother is NEVER going to run, you do inspire me to push harder on my daily walks. I love you and your drive. (I'd love you, too, if you were a complete sloth, but maybe I wouldn't admire you quite so much....) XOXOXOX Mom