Thursday, September 27, 2007

Spider Attack

Tuesday afternoon soreness started to set into my right hamstring. I figured Sunday's race was starting to catch up with me.

Tuesday night I was really sore, and thought for a fleeting moment that it was odd that only one hamstring was affected, but went to bed.

Wednesday morning I woke up in agonizing pain. I finally determined that it was not my hamstring that was sore, but rather that there was some sort of issue going on on the back of my right knee. A trip to the doctor confirmed that a spider had attacked me and the bite had become incredibly swollen and infected.

Me: "I have a race on Saturday! What can you do?" (I am sure my mother is cringing.)

One cortisone shot later and armed with Allegra and antibiotics, I headed back for work. Throughout the day the pain grew worse and worse, to the point that Wednesday night I contemplated for over an hour if I should go to the emergency room. My leg was throbbing, the pain agonizing, I could not walk and it appeared that there was half of a softball underneath the skin on the back of my leg.

After some WebMD research I decided I was not dying and that if I was not feeling better in the morning I would head back to the doctor. (Fortunately, my doctor is about a 30 second walk from my office.)

I awoke Thursday morning feeling horrid and was so sad, as I was sure my race weekend was over. One hot shower later I could actually walk and was feeling 1000 times better.

I saw my doctor as I pulled into the parking lot at the office. It was nice to know he was in.

While not 100%, I continued to feel better throughout the day. I am hopeful that a good night's sleep and another dose of medicine will cure my ailment and allow me to race Tinley this weekend.

6 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

What the? We have spiders that bite here?! Did he say what kind of spider it was? Was it in Santa Cruz or here in SF? Questions, questions.

last week I had 3 bites in my leg. First I thought they were poison oak but they didn't spread. Then I thought maybe flea bites from someones pet in the building but now, now I'm thinking spider or some other insect. They did't sting just itched so I know it wasn't a yellow jacket.

Good luck this weekend. I'm going to take it easy myself at the MS ride and take advantage of the after ride food and drinks.

Michele R. Unger said...

Good grief, honey, that's horrible. And, no, I am not 'cringing' I am wringing my hands and fretting and worrying! I'm aghast! I'm worried! HOW ARE YOU????? Gak. Just the thought of it makes my skin crawl. I sure hope you are truly on the mend and that you don't over do this weekend. I do know how special and important your weekends are but please take extra special care of yourself. A toxic spider bite it nothing to fool with!

Love,
Mom

Grove Street Journal said...

On the mend... after spending the afternoon and evening at Marin General. Insanity!

Grove Street Journal said...

On the mend... after spending the afternoon and evening at Marin General. Insanity!

Grove Street Journal said...

And clearly someone is on Vicodin... ; )

Unknown said...

Marin General! been there on more then one occasion and none of them was for me. :) i think another blog entry is in order. hope you're feeling better.