Saturday, September 15, 2007

Whoo Hoo!

Me: "Whoo Hoo!!!"

Paul: "Jennie, don't say that!"

(Paul had a flashback of the last time I had yelled out 'whoo hoo' mountain biking and crashed immediately thereafter.)

I always have fun mountain biking.

Today's adventure was at China Camp with Chris, Paul, Dian and Christopher Kautz from PK Racing. It was fun to see Christopher in a social context, although I only saw him for fleeting moments.

Paul was so powerful on an assent that his chain ripped right off of his mountain bike! If there was a day for a chain to come off a bike - it was today. Thank goodness for Christopher, who taught us all how to use a chain link tool. (I was happy to discover when I got home that I too have one; however, it would probably be best if I kept it on my bike.)

No injuries today! It did, however, take me most of the ride to get 'my legs' back after my last disaster. I was often at the back, way behind everyone else, frustrated that I didn't feel confident on the trail. However, about 1:40 into the ride I finally felt good on the bike again and started rip-roaring (for me) down the trail.

My mountain bike apparently had been feeling neglected and decided to give me all sorts of trouble.

After catching up with Paul and Dian over lunch at the Dipsea, I dropped off my mountain bike at my favorite bike shop in Sausalito for some love. The tech was asking me for my pertinent information:

"Name?"
"Jennie Eddy"

From the back of the shop: "Jennie!"
What?!?

All of a sudden, there was Anthony Eng, a friend I met earlier this year at GGTC's Wildflower Practice Weekend, who was also part of the Marin Century GGTC contingency. It was nice to catch up for a bit. I love that Ant uses the same shop, as he is an amazingly strong and fast cyclist, and if he trusts my favorite bike shop to work on his bikes, I know I am in good hands.

The day left me excited for next weekend - for a weekend away with friends and the Santa Cruz Sentinel Triathlon.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoo Hoo! Getting a shout out in your blog is waay cool!

I was not feeling either fast or strong today. Ribs were not ready to do today's ride. hope to feel better by next weekend when I be cheering you all on from the sidelines.... after I've had a leisurely brunch first of course. :)

Rick Gaston said...

Hey ask AE why his helmet doesn't match his racing kit:) He loves that. We rode with TAG Sat morning.

ooo you know how to use your chain tool. Can you show me? I have one and I don't know how to use it. I replace my chain on a yearly basis just to avoid that catastrophe.

Grove Street Journal said...

Rick, Ant shared the cracking of the helmet story with me when I ran into him at Bicycle Odyssey. Disaster. Good thing we all wear our helmets!

I will share my limited knowledge of the chain tool. I had no idea what that random thing was, and I am glad to now be in the know!

Ant, I expect loud cheering!

Unknown said...

chain tool use is pretty simple. kind of a pain out in the field though. best to replace your chain every 1500-2000 miles.

as for my helmet, it was either that or the pink... I'm not fast enough to wear a pink helmet. :)