Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Triathlon Community


The Golden Gate Triathlon Club, and triathlon in general, has afforded me the opportunity to meet some amazing people.

I met Paul, Dian, Ashli and Elisa through a GGTC program, TAG, training for Wildflower in 2006. Over the course of training for that race, and races thereafter, our relationships grew into friendships - friendships that I know will continue to grow and that have become very important to me.

My friends have become part of my extended family. While we are there to celebrate the joyous and happy times together, I know that they care about me no matter what - even when I am tired, cranky or sad.

GGTC has also brought other fabulous people into my life that I would not likely have otherwise met. People like Rick Gaston, who entertains me to no end and who I have gotten to know not only in person, but through his blog. He inspires me to be a better athlete and to train harder, knowing that he pushes his body to no end competing in his ultra distance running events. (Actually, I have seen Rick after a 100 miler and he puts everyone to shame... it's like he didn't even race!)

This year's Vineman 70.3 HIT program allowed the opportunity to meet another incredible athlete, and a very kind man, Jake Martini. Over the past few months Jake too has become a friend, through HIT and TMF workouts, as well as at early morning swims at the JCC.

Jake, bless his heart, took pity on me when my training mates were all missing in action over the holiday weekend, due to travel or illness, and joined me for a heart rate restricted ride. Long aerobic rides are not fun by yourself.

Jake and I had a great ride. It was a beautiful day and the conversation was lively and entertaining. I enjoyed learning more about Jake and his triathlon goals for the next year. I know that we will all be seeing a lot of him over the next year, and I look forward to it.

6 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

You know Jake?! He's awesome, came to one of our trail runs and is quite fast. Someone actually asked about him this weekend, can't remember who.

You must have seen me after a good 100-miler. You should have seen me after the Bighorn 100-miler, I needed a nurse after that race. I needed pampering and health care, instead I only got tough love from the other ultra runners and a do it yourself blister kit:)

Thanks for the plug, I am blushing underneath my dark pigments and training tan. I feel exactly the same about GGTC and it's what keeps me involved.

Grove Street Journal said...

I know Jake!

Jake, Chris and another amazing athlete, Ryan Carter, were the superstars of our HIT group this summer.

I loved to watch them run.

Ooooohhhhhh... poor thing! Bring friends - they will pamper you when nursing is needed!

Jake said...

Learning from the best, it was Jennie and Rick who taught me about Carbo-Pro and Peachy Keen Cytomax. Might be the best mix ever...ever...

P.S. Unlike Rick, you don't want to see my training tan...the speedo clad morning swims are a real adventure.

Rick Gaston said...

Yeah Ryan Carter too, another fast athlete who came in the same summer with Jake. Some competition in this club.

Grove Street Journal said...

Jake,

It's not that bad. ; )

Grove Street Journal said...

Rick, Ryan is doing CDA too!

However, I am sure I will not see him after the start of the swim, as he is so super fast.