Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Oh Canada

Business travel can make training difficult. I was thankful that a conference I had to attend this week in Victoria, British Columbia was scheduled during a taper, as I knew that it wouldn’t be as challenging to get my workouts in as it might otherwise have been.

Traveling in Europe last year I discovered that one of my favorite ways to experience a new city is to run through it. Travel by foot affords one the opportunity to journey to areas they might not otherwise see. I found Victoria to be no exception.


Victoria is beautiful. I always feel at home when near the water, as it reminds me of my childhood and growing up in Seattle.

I was excited to wake up and hit the pavement for a run on the second day of the conference. Having spent the entire day prior in meeting rooms had left me desiring some fresh air and physical activity.

For my first adventure I headed northwest towards Songhees. It was during this run that I came upon some local driftwood art that I found particularly whimsical and entertaining – the Fleet School Esquimalt Captain.

Running along the northern end of the harbor afforded all sort of amazing sights and views, including a sea lion who decided to accompany me for about a quarter of a mile of my run, as he swam alongside the trail at the waters edge.

I also spent a good portion of my run watching the sea planes taking off for relatively local destinations. Who knew that you could get to Victoria via sea plane from the Seattle area? I was pleased to learn this when my mother took the time to come up to meet her eldest for dinner. We had a lovely evening at one of her favorite local restaurants, Matisse. Thank goodness all this training affords me the opportunity to eat! The food was fabulous and the company perfect. It is always a treat to catch up in person, as I don’t get home as often as I would like.

The next day I headed south, which provided an opportunity to view the Capitol Building. The architecture was stunning. I would have liked to explore longer, but my run was relatively short and I had a ferry to catch.

Running has taken me places I would not likely have otherwise experienced. I am hopeful that my future holds many opportunities to discover and enjoy new locales and everything these yet undiscovered gems hold in store for me.

5 comments:

Michele R. Unger said...

It was such a thrill to be able to see you, even for such a short visit, in Victoria. I was happy to share with you a city I have come to love. Obviously you went running along the harbor trail that I love to walk! Can't wait until you come up to visit in November, interferring with your training again, but making your old, grey parents happy! Love you so much. Mom

Grove Street Journal said...

The thrill was all mine! You are most kind to have come all the way up to just to see me.

I wish we had had time to go shopping. I found some real gems after you departed and know we would have gotten into all sorts of trouble.

We will just have to make up for lost time in November!

I love you.

Unknown said...

awwww. :)
see ya at sentinal.

Rick Gaston said...

Total agreement, such a nice way to see a city is to run through it. Good luck tomorrow at Sentinel. I hope the weather is better down there. Love the pics they go nicely with the descriptions.

Will be thinking about you guys tomorrow. Easy does it for me after two hard weekends.

Grove Street Journal said...

Rick, a well deserved break! : ) Sentinel was so much fun! Now I know why you had so much fun at Big Kahuna! Renting a house down there was absolutely the way to go.

Ant, thank so much for the cheering... it is always so nice to hear someone call your name!