Sunday, January 20, 2008

18.03

18.03 miles. The furthest distance I have run to date.

Jake and I were to run CIM with Chris this past December, but neither of us were able to participate due to various ailments. Jake had also been planning on doing the Surf City Marathon with his father in February, so I decided to join in the adventure. I want to have a marathon under my belt before running one during Ironman.

In preparation for Surf City, Jake suggested that we run from our homes in San Francisco to Tiburon and then ferry home. Starting from Pier 39, this run is just over 20 miles. To date, my longest run was a half marathon, so this was to be quite an adventure. Jake and I planned to meet at Sam's in Tiburon post-run, as I set out much earlier than he.

Instead of starting at Pier 39, I set out from home and headed out towards the Golden Gate Bridge. As I was running along Crissy Field, I looked north towards Tiburon and thought, "That is a LONG way!"

The run was beautiful and surprisingly fun.

While tired at the end, I knew that I could keep going, which is exactly what I needed to mentally prepare for the Surf City Marathon. Jake also had a great run, so we celebrated with brunch at Sam's.

Neither of us had ever taken the ferry from Tiburon to San Francisco, so getting home was a fun adventure. While the run left me feeling less apprehensive about Surf City, I must admit that I am not all that excited about running a marathon. But, I know that the race atmosphere always excites me, so I am hopeful it will be a great event. Time will tell.

4 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

That marathon experience will be great for your IM training. Might as well feel what it's like to go the full 26 miles.

P.S. I ate all the scones:)! See you Thursday if you are going to the club social.

Michele R. Unger said...

Wow, honey, GREAT run! The mere thought of running all that way makes me want to go take a nap. (Okay, being up three times last night with Ian makes me really want to take a nap!) Keep up the hard work. I am just so delighted for you.

I love you.

Rick Gaston said...

Oops the Social is in February. Thanks Anthony for the heads up.

Grove Street Journal said...

I was wondering where I was supposed to be on Thursday that I didn't know about! ; )