Sunday, January 27, 2008

Fort Point

Today was my best run to date. I ran the first 5K of my run faster than I have EVER run a 5K. On top of that, it was just a fun run, even though it was raining.

I often run from my home to "Hopper's Hands" for a high-five and then run home. Hopper's Hands are located underneath the Golden Gate Bridge at Fort Point. I never knew you could go inside Fort Point until a few weeks ago when my friend Ashli was showing me some photos she had taken.

"Where is that?"
"Fort Point. Did you know you could go inside?"
"I had no idea!"

Today I noticed some people were coming out of the non-descript brick building and realized it was open. I decided to pop in and discover what Ashli already had. A very kind ranger provided me with a brochure at the entrance and I set out for a brief exploration.

I wish my father had been with me. My dad is a history buff and I knew as I walked around that he would just have loved it. It was so much fun! I discovered that Fort Point was a coastal defense garrison built in the 1850's. From the top of the Fort the views of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge are stunning.

I met a very nice gentleman from Orlando as we admired the views. I had to laugh and admit that it was my first visit to the Fort, even though I have lived nearby for three years. The gentleman exclaimed this to be quite sad, as he had only been in San Francisco for two days!

Running brings me such joy when I make discoveries like the one I made today.

On my return run, I ran into two of my favorite people - Paul and Dian! As it was raining, our visit was brief, but entertaining as always. It was a perfect last "long run" before my first marathon.

3 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

Yes but the gentleman doesn't know that you've been biking the roads of Marin, breaking your elbow somewhere in the Headlands or running the trails of Angel Island or...do I really need to go on. I've never been either but I have noticed people going in and out of the building. If anything I'm usually mesmerized by the surfers catching waves.

Grove Street Journal said...

Rick,

You should head into Fort Point at some point with your camera. There are some really great photos to be taken. The light was all wrong yesterday, but I am definitely going back on a sunny day!

Thank you for your kinds words about the reasons for my neglect of the local attractions. You are absolutely right. ; )

willgotthardt said...

Always nice to set a PR at any distance before a race/event...well done.

Hope your first marathon goes well..run strong and settle in...the pain is inevitable...accept it, enjoy it and push through it...that ability is really what seperates you (as an athlete).

All the best. Look forward to reading the recap.

Will G.