Sunday, January 13, 2008

Weekend Warrior

This weekend was the first time I felt like a true "weekend warrior." Getting my workouts during the week proved to be challenging and the weekend was a busy one with training.

Saturday began with a 3 hour ride from Fairfax to Pt. Reyes to Olema and back. This loop typically wouldn't be all that difficult, however, Christopher and some of his friends kept the pace a bit faster than I normally ride. Needless to say, by mid-afternoon I was beat and fell asleep in my comfy chair while I was attempting to work. I knew I was was in trouble for the next day when I went to sleep with sore legs.

Sunday I met up with Jake and one of his friends for the PCTR Angel Island Trail Run. I had debated back and forth between the 16K and the 25K distance and ultimately registered for the 25K, knowing that the course setup would allow for a shorter run should I not want to run the full 25K.

I had never before been on Angel Island and was spoiled with a GORGEOUS day. It could not have been a more beautiful day to run on the island. There was not a cloud in the sky and the temperature was perfect.

I very much enjoy PCTR events as they are extremely well organized and just fun. This event was no exception. As I set out on my run I was stunned not only by the exceptional views, but also by the architecture of the buildings on the island. I would have loved to have seen them in their prime.

A highlight of my run was to discover that I was running next to a gentleman I had met while participating in the PCTR in Woodside in December. We both laughed when we recognized one another. Jeff and I ran most of the rest of the event together, and both opted to make it a 17K vs. a 25K, due to a desire to make the earlier ferry. Good thing for me, as I was SORE after the event, due to some brutal stairs and climbs.

All and all it was a great weekend. Can't wait to do it again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had such a good weekend! Angel Island sounds intesting. What was it before...you mentioned buildings that had seen better days. Can you clue me in?
Love,
Mom

Grove Street Journal said...

Mom,

I had previously thought that Angel Island had been a former base of sorts. But, I just discovered from the Angel Island website that I was only partially correct. This is the island's history:

"Angel Island is rich in local history. The Miwoks used it for thousands of years before the Spaniards arrived. Ayala Cove was the staging area for the earliest water-based exploration of the bay area in 1775. Following many years of Spanish control of the island, it served as both a military base and the site of two government facilities (Quarantine and Immigration Stations) for nearly 100 years starting in the mid-1800s. Many of the buildings from these times are still standing."

The buildings were stunning - run down, but stunning. I want to get back over there with my camera! Sounds like something to save for a Mom trip. : )

Rick Gaston said...

Next time you should run the full 25k. I believe the third loop takes you all the way to the highest point of the island. All in good time, Couer d'Alene first. I'm glad you are enjoying these trail runs. I know you're used to trails since you mountain bike but running gets you more singletrack:) Besides runners are sexier, I have no proof of course, just my biased opinion.

Grove Street Journal said...

Rick,

Ha ha ha... love it! Well then, I will just have to do some more running! Jake is making me run from SF to Sam's on Sunday. Now I think that is just cruel. ; )