Wednesday, January 23, 2008

... So Others May Live

Those who volunteer their time and effort to make a difference inspire me. Jon Blais was one of those people.

Jon was diagnosed with ALS in 2005 and in 2 short years became a powerful voice for ALS, using the sport he loved to promote awareness and fundraising to find a cure for the fatal motor neuron disease.

While Jon lost his battle with ALS last May, his mission continues on with the Blazeman Foundation, a non-profit organization that rose out of efforts of Jon's determination and perseverance, his family's commitment, a family of ALS warriors, and a response from the multi-sport community.

As many of you know, I decided to fundraise on behalf of the Blazeman Foundation in Jon's honor as I prepare to become something he was -- an Ironman.

My fundraising efforts are underway and I thank those again who have contributed. While I have only raised approximately 20% of my goal, I am confident I will get there, with Jon's determination serving as an inspiration.

I was deeply touched today when I received a telephone call from Jon's dad, Bob Blais, thanking me for my fundraising efforts and asking me to share my story with him. Few would take the time and I am once again honored to be a Blazeman Warrior.

2 comments:

Michele R. Unger said...

How nice to get such a phone call! I hope you can meet your goal with little trouble. It's such a worthy cause.

Love you.

Grove Street Journal said...

Mother! My goodness! Thank you. : )

I hope you are getting some sleep. I am thinking about you and sending every possible positive vibe to you, Annie and the rest of family.