Sunday, May 11, 2008

100 Mile Send Off to Brazil

I have two friends racing in this year's Ironman Brazil -- Elisa and Rangsiwan, I wish them both a WONDERFUL event and will be rooting for them all day!

In honor of Rangsiwan's departure for Brazil, Jessica put together a century ride on the Peninsula to celebrate the start of Rangsiwan's 'taper' this past weekend.

Now, I thought Jessica had billed this ride as a flat one, but I may have imagined this. Jessica incorporated a SEVEN MILE hill climb into the ride. SEVEN MILES. I don't think I had ever done a SEVEN MILE hill climb before.

As I was mid-'hill,' I thought to myself, "this isn't a hill, it's a mountain!"

It was a wonderful ride -- I had the opportunity to spend the day with four amazing women that I had spent little time with prior to our ride, so I enjoyed very much getting to know them as we rode along. They are all inspiring, talented, strong and beautiful (and quite funny!).

While the day was long, it flew by. The scenery was beautiful and the weather near perfect for a long ride.

I also discovered that turkey jerky is the perfect treat at the end of a long ride -- as are fruit loops!

The best part -- the gentleman cyclist in the final few miles of our 96-miler who could not handle being passed by a bunch of girls. Ha!

2 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

I guess he wasn't much of a gentleman if he couldn't handle being passed by a bunch of girls. He probably doesn't even know that the "girls" were a bunch triathlete veterans training for big events. Hahahaha i was laughing at the seven mile hill climb comment. Yeah I'd be careful with what Jess calls "flat" rides. Anyway it was great to see you guys having a great time out there. Jess told me about the ride on Friday.

yaiAnn said...

Thanks for spending the day with is! It was SUCH a blast!