Monday, May 5, 2008

Wildflower Aquabike

"I'm inspired by failure. The process of defeat - picking yourself up again is the hardest thing in the word." - Lolo Jones

Dian found this quote in an advertisement in Runner's World. She shared it with me and I found it highly appropriate in relation to my weekend.

The weekend was such a disaster on so many fronts and yet still fun, as I always seem to somehow have fun even in not-so-fun moments.

First, we were super late setting out. Then we encountered mechanical problems in our caravan down to Paso Robles. The combined late departure and mechanical issues cause a rush to Lake San Antonio to register, which then resulted in shoveling dinner into our mouths and the ingestion of food I might not have otherwise eaten. The ticket a half-mile from the bed and breakfast hours after we were due to arrive in Paso Robles didn't help much either as I then spent half the night fretting about the fact that one of my party had to now deal with a ticket.

I got about an hour of sleep Friday night.

I was very happy race morning to discover that even on one hour of sleep I felt pretty good and was excited to race.

I had a great swim. For the first time ever I stayed in a pack for the swim and knew I was swimming faster than usual. (Three minutes faster for a 1.2 mile swim!)

I also had a great bike ride. I felt powerful and strong, yet I kept my power efficient. The entire time I was riding I kept in mind an analogy my coach had shared with me about "my matchbox." I had to keep my power in my zone, because each time I went over I was using a match from my limited supply in my matchbox that would effect my run.

The run, ah, the run. A completely different story. At about a half mile into my half marathon I did not feel well. Not well indeed. I felt like I had ingested a lot of air and it was just causing all sorts of a ruckus in my stomach and throat. I couldn't breath and I couldn't intake any water or food. That led to dry heaving. At mile 7 I made one of the toughest decisions I have ever made -- I decided to end my race early.

I had spent 7 miles contemplating how detrimental it would be to my training for the foreseeable future if I gave myself heatstroke, since I couldn't intake any water and was clearly dehydrated.

When I made my decision, I tore off my race number in frustration and put it in my back pocket. It was a humbling, frustrating moment. It was awful to spot Jake and Chris waiting for me at the finish line and to tell them I had not finished. So awful that I burst into tears.

I am mad and frustrated and disappointed, but am hopeful this will be yet again another learning experience that will benefit me in my Ironman race.

The rest of the weekend was a blast. We had a lovely post-race dinner at McPhee's in Templeton and another great stay at my favorite bed and breakfast in Paso Robles.

Sunday was wonderful as well, as we decided to tour Hearst Castle on our way back. I had never seen Hearst Castle and was blown away by the mansion and grounds. Additionally, we had a very entertaining tour guide.

All and all, while disappointed with my performance personally, it was a fun weekend. Congratulations to Jake, Chris, Dian and Paul and to all my GGTC teammates on a great event!

5 comments:

yaiAnn said...

Aww, hon.. We live to race another day! Sometimes you just have to know when the day is over. I'm glad you had a great ending to the weekend!

Jessica said...

I am so sorry. Those are NOT easy days! But you know what, they make us appreciate the good ones! The best athletes have been brought down by nutrition! It has been a tough lesson for me to learn, and one that has really taken over 3 years for me to really figure out! I have a dirty little secret - nutrition is my biggest worry for CDA. You are an amazing athlete! You'll come through this stronger and wiser!

Rick Gaston said...

So sorry to hear about what happened on your race. That really sucks. I'm glad you bounced back though. You know Cheyenne had to drop out too. Like you she's no quitter but she had problems breathing on the course and had to stop at mile 6. They made her stop and take her to medical where they administered an inhaler. She's not ashmatic but something in the air that day. She was distraught and in tears.

I am glad you were able to make the decision yourself. Despite the trouble you were in you were able to think clearly and make the right choice. Keeling over on the race course would not have done anyone any good.

Rest up and compete again another day.

Michele R. Unger said...

Oh, honey, I'm so sorry but I applaud your clear head and logic in retiring from the race. You always seem to make these sad days into learning experiences and I envy you that attitude. You have so much to teach me.
XOXOXOXOX

Unknown said...

Bummer about not finishing, but that's racing. CDA is your big goal, so learn from the miscues at Wildflower and apply them to the "A" race.

A smart racer is a better racer.