Monday, October 1, 2007

Tinley

Two words about Scott Tinley's Adventures Olympic distance road triathlon - Mini Wildflower.

I spent the entire event comparing each element of the race to Wildflower. Everything about the Lopez Lake recreational area reminded me Lake San Antonio.

The Olympic distance event was on Saturday, so Chris and I drove down Friday afternoon. The trip down was one of the more entertaining road trips of my life, which included Chris singing a self-penned song, "Idiot Reserve," as we attempted to locate a gas station on an empty tank. (We made it.)

From the moment we entered the park on Friday evening to register and pick up our race packets I felt like I was at Wildflower. We noted from the size of the transition area that this was a MUCH smaller race.

After picking up our race packets, Chris and I enjoyed a lovely dinner with his parents in Pismo Beach, who had driven up to see their son and cheer him on. I enjoyed spending time with Chris’s family. It was fun to discover that Chris took after his mother in some particular regard and after his father in others. Chris has wonderful parents, which I expected from knowing the man they raised.

Thereafter we checked into one of the coolest little hotels I have ever stayed at -- the Avila La Fonda Hotel in Avila Beach. It is a very welcoming and comfortable hotel, with all the amenities. I knew we were in for a good weekend when they asked us if we wanted wine when we checked in. We passed on the wine, opting instead to get ready for the race. Race numbers were placed on bikes, helmets and on race belts, CarboPro water bottles were mixed, tri bags were double checked and then we called it a night.

Race day started out as a chilly one. Our hands were frozen as we made our way to transition, but it warmed up quickly. I was pleasantly surprised to see two fellow GGTCers in transition -- Andreas and Maria. I hadn't seen them since a long weekend ride many months prior.

The event was so small that all the men were in one heat and the women in another. It was my first time participating in an event with multiple loops for both the swim and the run. I found it cruel while doing the swim portion of the race that I had to get out, run around the swim start marker and then get back in the water and do it again.

The swim was slow going. After the first "leg" of the swim, the course made a turn directly into the sun and you could not see the next buoy. I spent a lot of time trying to sight and am sure I swam a very poor line, not once, but twice!

I was happy to be out of the water after completing my second loop and enjoyed having cheerleaders on the sideline. However, I was so sad when I got to transition and saw a gentleman next to me getting ready to go out for his run. Was I that slow? When I realized he was doing the sprint distance event and that I wasn't THAT slow, I felt much better.

I headed out on my bike and felt good. The bike course was also reminiscent of Wildflower. Immediately after coming out of transition -- a huge hill. Now, this hill wasn't as steep or as long as Lynch Hill, but it was close. The course was a partial out and back, partial loop and I enjoyed the ride. I spent most of it wondering if I should run. My leg wasn't bothering me, but it was swollen and I could not decide if I should run on it.

At the end of my bike I decided that as I was not in pain, and as I have never failed to finish an event, that I would run. I felt fine the entire run. It was slow going, as the course was hilly, and boasted a "worse than Wildflower" hill (steeper, but shorter) that we had to run twice. It was during the run that multiple people commented that my right leg was a bleeding. Interesting. Didn't feel it. Did something happen to my spider bite?

In the end, I enjoyed the race and was glad to have done it.

Chris had a fabulous event. He met his time goal and came in 4th in his age group. I am glad his parents were there to witness his wonderful achievement.

After the race, still feeling fine, Chris's parents took us out to lunch to celebrate. We enjoyed a lovely meal in Avila Beach. What a beautiful town!

It was during lunch that my leg started to not feel so great.

After Chris's parents departed to return home, we headed back to the hotel for a little post-race nap. As we were staying until Sunday, we were able to waste the day away. It was a lovely way to spend the weekend, with my wound being the one exception.

I awoke around 2:30 am on Sunday morning in pain and feeling feverish, but took some Advil and went back to sleep.

Sunday morning we headed out to make the trip back to the City.

After Chris dropped me off at home, while unpacking, I noticed I had the infamous red streaks on my leg. I immediately packed a bag and headed out for Marin General. I didn't want to bother anyone with what was sure to be a long day, so I went on my own.

After checking into the Emergency Room, a physician's assistant came out to see if they could treat me and send me on my way. "It would be much faster." "Let's take a look." "Um, nope! You need to see a doctor." Uh oh. That's not a good sign. I also realized that it might be worse than I though when they took me back rather quickly, before a man who clearly needed stitches to close a gash above his eye. Trouble.

After an entertaining conversation with a sassy EMT, the doctor came in to see me. "Well, let's take a look. Goodness gracious!" Oh great. "We're going to have to cut this one." "Wow, this is bad." At this point I figured I needed to tell someone I had gone to the emergency room and thereafter sent Chris a text message and an email to Dian.

The doctor explained that I had an "advanced" infection as well as cellulitis, and that it was a close call on whether I should be admitted. He thereafter determined that he was going to give me IV antibiotics and drain the wound. Fun times.

Hours later the doctor came in to tend to my leg. OMG, did it hurt. Even after they numbed the wound, I could feel him cutting it. At one point I screamed as tears streamed down my face. It is a rare occasion when I cry due to pain.

Thereafter, while my IV antibiotics continued to flow, I heard a familiar voice in the hall… The moment Paul and Dian walked into my room I burst into tears. I have never been so happy to see friends in my entire life.

Shortly thereafter I was discharged, and after picking up antibiotics and painkillers at the pharmacy, Paul and Dian assisted with getting me home. No small feat when on crutches and you live on the top floor of your building without an elevator. Two Vicodin later I was fast asleep.

Chris took me to see my primary care physician for my post-emergency appointment, who confirmed that my "spider bite" is a staph infection. Lovely.

Chris, Paul, and Dian -- you are godsends. There are not enough words. Thank you.

I am so thankful to be in good hands -- not only my doctors, but in my friends. I can only assume there have been calls of which I am not aware, as my life seems to be coordinating around me without my involvement. Thank you to the organizers. I only hope I can repay you in a positive way, and not with services in-kind. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

3 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

Tough break on the staph infection. Great that you knew the tell tale sign of staph and promptly went to the hospital. What a finish for your last race in 07. This training group of yours, they're great. Nice job on the race, congratulations to Chris for his 4th placing in his age group. The coaching is paying off.

Grove Street Journal said...

I am happy to report that I appear to be on the mend. At least the swelling stopped. I don't think my leg could have gotten much bigger.

The Torsten crew -- they ARE great! I am lucky to have such kind people in my life. I don't know what I would have done without them.

I am also blessed to have wonderful friends who have come by to visit bearing reading material, dinner and even ice cream! : )

Had to end the season with a bang... the story of my life. : )

Michele R. Unger said...

I'm sorry I read this and even sorrier I'm not close enough to bring you chicken soup and hug you and run errands and get out of the way when you want to be alone. I'm doing the frantic mother dance, the one where I run around in circles flapping my hands and fretting (and look ridiculous doing so!). Love you, honey. GET BETTER.