Sunday, November 4, 2007

Off Season Training

The triathlon off-season is proving to be just as much fun as the race season, and a whole lot less work! (Not that I am complaining, as I love the training.)

This weekend was a busy one with light training and not one, but two (!) social outings with my training mates.

Chris had a gathering at his home of his friends and teammates. It was a lot of fun to meet Chris' friends and to match names with faces and connect stories with those involved. It was also nice to catch up with Chris' friend Will, a fellow Washingtonian, who is sadly returning to Washington State this winter.

It was also fun to see Jake outside of training events and to rally with him for his race. All night long I kept thinking that Jake looked different and today I figured out what it was -- I don't think I have ever seen Jake clean shaven and in non-workout clothing. It's funny that you can know someone for as long as we have known one another and not see them outside of training. But, then again, our training is such a big part of our lives.

Sunday morning while Jake was running, Paul, Di, Chris and I headed out for a relatively short "long" bike ride. We were to put in 2.5 hours on the bike and set out for a double loop around Paradise Drive. It was a pleasure to have Chris with us, as I did not expect that he would be able to join us.

I always enjoy our rides -- they are leisurely, social and very fun. And, today was the first Paradise experience on the Guru. Oh my goodness... all I want to do is go downhill on it! It FLIES. I think it's the Zipps. Now I want race wheels for my tri bike. Well, let me re-phrase; now I REALLY want race wheels for my tri bike. I have wanted them for a while, but now it's an obsession. Paul, again, I blame you.

The weekend was rounded out with one of Paul's culinary adventures.

I was so happy to discover when I met the Quinn's that I found two friends who enjoy food as much as I do. We often bond over food and Paul is the master restaurant selector.

Paul and Dian invited Chris and I to share in an evening with them and their friends at a local favorite in Daly City -- Koi Palace. Paul is in the KNOW for where to dine for authentic meals, and this was no exception. The moment we walked in I knew this is where the locals dined.

The meal was highly entertaining -- adventures with the Quinn’s always are. Paul usually orders and I love waiting to see what surprises await us. Tonight’s adventure -- jellyfish. I had never before eaten jellyfish (it's very chewy). The dessert course consisted of fruit and tea flavored gelatinous bite-sized "treats." I burst into laughter watching everyone's expressions as they sampled the treats.

This weekend I discovered that both Chris and the Quinn’s have fabulous friends. I think I am lucky to be one of them.

11 comments:

Michele R. Unger said...

Sounds like you are well on the road to recovery...physically and in terms of your training. I'M VERY RELIEVED! And it's nice to know you got to try jellyfish. Everyone should, I always say....

Love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Could take the zipps off the guru and run them on the tri bike come race day.... That's what I'll be doing with the race wheels from my C'dale when I turn my old road bike into a TT machine.

You'd never tried Jelly fish before?!?

Grove Street Journal said...

Ant,

The big plan is to use the front wheel from the Guru (a 303) on the tri bike and then to purchase a 404 for the rear, making a "Jennie-sized" 606 equivalent, or what I have come to refer to as a ‘3-5 0 3-5.'

No, sadly, I had never tried Jelly Fish before. Clearly I was behind the times.

Grove Street Journal said...

... and Mom, the leg is mostly healed!

Additionally, I have an appointment this week with the fabulous doctor who remedied my broken wrist to see if he can fix my elbow. Don't ask. :)

Unknown said...

I personally am not convinced that popping for an 404 rear will get you any significant advantage over the wheelset you already have. an aero helmet and lots of work on the engine will make you faster.

Sit in with a fast pack ride once a week come spring time and I'll gurantee a jump in your speed.

Michele R. Unger said...

What do you mean, "Don't ask." WHAT is wrong with our elbow?????????????????

Grove Street Journal said...

Ha ha ha... I knew better!

My elbow is still not quite right after the mountain bike crash back in August.

No worries... off to see the doctor this morning.

Rick Gaston said...

Good food, good friends. Hard to go wrong with that combination.

Grove Street Journal said...

Rick, you are absolutely right! :)

Jake said...

That photo of the display tank looks like a scene cut from 'Aliens.' I'm just saying.

Then again, this is coming from the person who just ate unagi for the first time last night...

Grove Street Journal said...

I cannot believe you had not sampled Unagi!

You have been missing out, as it is one of my favorites! : )