Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving No. 2


Paul and Dian hosted Thanksgiving this year. I had been looking forward to it since they invited me many months ago. Paul is a fabulous cook and an evening at the Quinn's is always a treat.

My Thanksgiving Day began with what was supposed to be the 6 mile Ocean Beach Turkey Trot with Chris. However, due to the oil spill a few weeks ago in the Bay, the Ocean Beach Turkey Trot turned into a 5K Turkey Trot in Golden Gate Park. The race was still fun and I am glad I went. Many of the runners were in rather entertaining costumes.

The moment I got home from the Turkey Trot I started baking. Paul and Dian know how much I like to bake so I was in charge of the dessert course for the Thanksgiving celebration. Baking all day was fun, and something I have not had the opportunity to do in quite a long while. While baking, I had some humorous moments over the telephone with my mother and my sister about a family cheesecake recipe.

Baking was frenzied, as I wasn't quite sure I could get everything done before it was time to depart for dinner. Alas, the worry was for naught.

Paul had requested a latticed-topped apple pie which turned out PERFECT. That is, until it imploded in the car on the way over. OK, it didn't implode, but it did manage to slide off a baking sheet and spill all over another dessert and all over the car. I was so mortified that all I could do was laugh.

Paul and Dian have great friends, which made for a joyous evening. The food was fabulous, the wine was perfect and the company was wonderful. Paul and Dian, thank you! I can't wait for our next get together.

2 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

Love having Thanksgiving with friends. My favorite holiday but I almost never travel for it. I was at Sasser's place, she hosted, with a bunch of other folks that you probably know too. Much wine, much food and football on the tube before that. Perfect.

Grove Street Journal said...

Apparently there were triathlon-friends Thanksgivings going on all over the City! Aren't we lucky? : )

Perfect is right.