Sunday, December 2, 2007

California International Marathon

While I was not able to participate in CIM this year, I wasn't going to miss watching Chris participate in his first marathon.

The morning started early and it was COLD. I felt bad dropping Chris off at the start because of how cold it was. But, he had socks on his hands and was ready to go, so he set off.

I had planned on meeting Chris at mile 10, at the half-way-point, at mile 20, and obviously at the finish line. I have never SAG-ed a marathoner before and found it incredibly stressful. I set out an hour and twenty minutes before he was due at the 10 mile mark and missed him. And then I missed him again at the half marathon mark, by about a minute.

It was so difficult to maneuver around, with everyone trying to get to the same places at the same time, while trying to avoid the marathon route and the road closures. Parking was a nightmare. I was so worried that Chris needed something and that I was letting him down. I did, however, see a GGTC teammate at the half marathon mark who was in need of some water, so at least I helped someone.

I finally caught up with Chris at mile 20. While I only got to cheer him on for a fleeting moment as he ran past, it was fun to see him.

I tore off the second Chris passed by at mile 20 to try to make my way down to the finish line before he arrived. (So stressful!)

I was standing at the final turn before the finish line when Chris ran by. While he didn't see me, it was amazing to watch him spot the finish line and visibly light up with the joy of his accomplishment. I was so proud of him.

Watching the soreness set in afterwards made me incredibly nervous for my marathon. I have a LOT of work to do, and it starts this week.

2 comments:

MomPhD said...

Hm, Sunday morning... I slept in 'til 8:30. Ahhhh. You guys are nuts.

Why no mention of your new nickname, BabeFactor?

Rick Gaston said...

Hahaha, hey there BF.

Awesome time for Chris' first marathon. I've never heard of someone crewing for a marathon but you made the most of it. I would think it would be very difficult because of the size of the field, the spectators and street closures. Crew for ultra's, much more fun. Now you have to convince Chris to try one:)

FBF (friend of....)