Saturday, December 1, 2007

Woodside Trail Run

Paul and Dian talked me into signing up for a 17K trail run down in Woodside when I got the no-go from my coach for CIM. While I have done some trail running in the past, I had never done an organized trail run before. The thought of this run scared me to death, however, because running is a challenge for me BEFORE you add hills. I have one pace and it's just not fast.

The night before the race I was a bit nervous about the run, but the morning of I awoke very excited about it. Dian has been sick (she is finally on the mend, thank goodness, because I miss her terribly!), so it was just me and Paul. I love love love hanging out with Paul, so it was a lot of fun to do this event with him. Paul entertains me to no end. I am so thankful that Paul and Dian have come into my life, as they have become such dear friends.

I knew how amazing Pacific Coast Trail Runs events' are from volunteering for the Headland's 100 earlier this year, and this event was no exception. As we arrived, I saw a few familiar faces, including my aid station partner from the Headland's 100.

The moment my feet hit the trail I knew I had discovered a new passion. I LOVED the event. I could have done the course again when I crossed the finish line. It was a beautiful run and I enjoyed every moment of it. The people who participated in the event were incredibly kind and very fun to run with. I told Paul when I crossed the finish line that we had to do more of these events! I find myself looking forward to my next trail run, however, hope that I don't have a run in with wasps like Paul did. Poor Paul got stung multiple times.

6 comments:

willgotthardt said...

Well done Jennie...great to see you out there...just realize the wasps are actually placed on the course beforehand to enhance the experience for newbies.

Will G.

Grove Street Journal said...

Will, it was great to see you too, two weeks in a row!

Thank you for the suggestion to flip the Garmin. I loved it! I laughed, however, the first time I looked at the top of my wrist and discovered my watch was not there.

I hope you had a good run.

Rick Gaston said...

Paul got stung but you didn't, nice. I got stung multiple times on another PCTR run, well we are in their territory. The fast runners like Will rile them up and all the rest of the group have to deal with them.

Grove Street Journal said...

Paul said that a whole bunch of people got stung. Apparently someone kicked a nest.

I am glad I was not in the vacinity when that happened, as I would NOT HAVE BEEN HAPPY.

I felt so bad!

Michele R. Unger said...

Geez, Jen, you mean you missed out on multiple wasp stings? You could have hurt yourself in another way and you didn't? Glad to hear it!

Grove Street Journal said...

Ha ha ha... yes! I am happy to report that I avoided an injury of sorts. Maybe my luck has turned.

Mom, so funny, watching the marathon this weekend -- this man goes running past me as I am waiting at the finish line and I looked at him, looked at him again, and thought, Oh my goodness, that's my orthopedic surgeon! And it was! I looked up his time this morning. He's FAST.

And, speaking of fast, congratulations Will on your second place finish at the Woodside event!