Saturday, October 13, 2007

Back in the Saddle

I awoke tired after staying out way too late celebrating Ashli and Lewy's birthdays, but leapt out of bed because I was SO EXCITED to get back out on my bike.

I am alive. I appear to have survived the staph infection, which is healing up nicely.

My doctors cleared me to start training again this week and Paul, Dian and I set out for a leisurely heart rate-restricted ride north up into Marin. It was so much fun to catch up with Paul and Di, and to see Paul's new road bike in action.

We opted not to ride Paradise today and headed north into the unknown. As we made our way through Greenbrea we turned onto Via de Cumbre, which for purposes of today meant Via de SUPER STEEP HILL. I am sure I was driving poor Paul and Di crazy. I couldn't stop saying Via de Cumbre for the rest of the ride. We spent a good portion of the ride hoping that our coach and his girlfriend were having a great race at the Ironman Championship and discussing who we wanted to win.

We stopped at one our local post-ride favorites, Fish, on the way home and then battled back to the City and up the Sausalito hill with full bellies.

I had been worried that taking so much time off was going to be detrimental. However, today I felt powerful and well rested, which made me happy. Let's see if I feel the same way after a long run.

9 comments:

MomPhD said...

Wahoo! She survived the flesh-eating bacterial infestation!!!

How's the full-body rash, sister dear?

:P

Grove Street Journal said...

Ha ha... still a bit left, but it's SO MUCH BETTER. I don't feel like I want to tear my skin off any longer.

My goodness... I hope to God that never happens again. It was AWFUL.

Unknown said...

rest is good.
should probably take my own advice after yesterday's ride.
Actually got a GGTCer to come out to ride with Team Oakland yesteday too. I don't think she quite knew what she was getting into. :)

Grove Street Journal said...

I am sure she did not! Even I know better! : )

Unknown said...

it wasn't quite a century... only a couple miles short.

she did have the biggest grin on her face after doing one of the best descents out here in the east bay. You got to come out and do it one of these days.

Rick Gaston said...

People ride bikes in the East Bay? Haha just kidding Anthony. Saw one our own out there in Castro Valley in the same park we were doing our race. Oh wait this isn't AE's blog:)

Glad you are back on the saddle and into some semblance of a normal workout routine. It was beautiful Saturday, we were loving it.

Grove Street Journal said...

Ant, I am sure I will get out there sometime soon. I would imagine that over the next 8 months we are going to be looking for some different locales to ride.

I hope this poor GGTCer had actually done 100 miles before! ; )

Rick, I was so happy that Saturday was such a beautiful day! I immediately looked out the window when I woke up to check the weather for your race. I didn't want you to have to run in the rain.

Unknown said...

Does doing the marin century with us in august count?
Would have put on on the email list for the ride, but I didn't think you'd be back out on the bike quite soo soon.
rick: yes, we do ride bikes out here in the east bay. although these new fangled gears sure are a thing to behold. :)

Grove Street Journal said...

Wait, Ant, hahaha... who was it?