Sunday, October 21, 2007

Mud Run

Chris and I signed up for the Camp Pendleton Armed Services YMCA 10K Mud Run this past spring. The Pendleton Mud Run events sell out quickly each year and we both were really excited about the event.

I asked my doctor if I could participate.

"No."

"But, I feel fine and my wound is almost all healed."

"As you just said, 'almost' healed. You will not swim and run in mud until it is completely healed. Jennie, it's a STAPH INFECTION."

Bummer.

After having watched the race this year, I can't wait to do it next year. However, I can tell you now that I will not beat 'my' time from this year. I came in second in my age group! NOT. That is something will not likely EVER happen. At least not in a running event. (Actually, I shouldn't say that. I hope it does happen, as I want it to happen.)

Officially, Chris and I both finished at 51:57. Ha! Since I couldn't race, and the event was sold out, Chris' friends Chatom ran wearing my number. Chris and Chatom were FAST.

I knew it was going to be a fun event to watch when we discovered as we were waiting for the start that it was best to have your shoes or boots wrapped in duct tape to hold the laces down and to try to keep the mud out. They had duct tape stations!

I watched Chris and Chatom as they took off at the start and then waited for them at the final "mud pit" just before the finish line. The mud pit was a 30-foot long muddy hole the runners had to crawl through. The leaders came through and I knew Chris and Chatom wouldn't be too far behind, and they were not.

Chris finished FIRST in his age group. He continues to amaze me and is so much fun to watch race. This was his first first place age group finish, but I know there will be many, many more. Chris, congratulations! You inspire me to trainer harder and to be faster.

I look forward to doing a mud event, somewhere, next year. Consider this an advance warning... I see a team mud event in the future.

4 comments:

Michele R. Unger said...

You always did like making muddy things...remember the "canals" in the Rothmeyer's back yard? I hope you get to run amok soon and that it is as much fun as you think it will be. Just continue to heal, okay?

Grove Street Journal said...

PROMISE! : )

I do remember the canals. Marc and I were master's of canals. And burning things. How did we ever survive our childhood?

Rick Gaston said...

Staph has been on the news lately. Good thing the smart Jen prevailed and there was no racing. Like you said there's always next year. Chris is fast.

Grove Street Journal said...

I wanted to race SO BADLY. It just looked fun. But, I do not ever want to go through a staph infection again, so "smart Jen" prevailed. : )