Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Winter Found?

Last Friday I was sure my winter running plans -- the Pendleton Mud Run, 4 Bridges Half Marathon and CIM -- were over. My doctor informed me that my staph infection was not healing as quickly as he would have hoped and it appeared I needed to have surgery. I was so sad. Chris was with me and I tried not to cry, but the tears came anyway.

My doctor referred me to two plastic surgeons and I was able to get in to see one of them later that afternoon. Dian took me to the appointment and we were both in shock when what we thought was a consultation turned into minor surgery. Dian, bless her heart, in an effort to distract me while the surgeon further cut open my abscess to allow it to heal, engaged me in random conversations, including a lengthy discussion of what we were going to have for dessert that night, as Dian had invited me to join her, Paul and Paul's parents (who were in town visiting for the weekend) for dinner that evening. The surgeon was optimistic that allowing the infection to drain would allow it to heal without any additional surgery. Finally, some good news, but I didn't want to get my hopes up, as this prognosis was so contrary to what I had been told earlier in the day.

But, a weekend of kindness from my friends -- dinner at NOPA, a movie date, a home cooked family meal, Miette cupcakes and ice cream, Iron Chef, alfajores, brunch at the Dipsea, a TJ's shopping adventure, my favorite dry-farmed tomatoes, and twice daily visits to assist with wound issues -- as well as calls, emails and texts from family and friends (including my coach), provided me some joy and distraction after a horrific week in bed. On Sunday I realized that I was starting to feel better. A little retail therapy helped as well.

I am happy to report that all the thoughts and prayers were heard and appear to have been successful! I met with two plastic surgeons today that both confirmed that I am healing quickly -- more quickly than expected! Better yet, I should be able to start training again in about a week! I cannot describe how happy I am. While I will not be able to participate in the Mud Run at Pendleton, 4 Bridges (albeit at a slower pace) seems probable, and CIM does not appear to be lost after all.

THANK YOU ALL. Your kindness will not be forgotten.

7 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

ooo that is good news. That infection didn't seem to slow down your weekend at all. Easy does it going back on the training schedule.

Grove Street Journal said...

Ha ha ha.. it think I have cursed myself. It's 1:23 am and I am sitting here waiting for the on-call doctor to call me back as my entire body is covered in a rash that is so itchy I want to tear my hair out. Drug reaction? I think so. Necessary to go to doctor in the middle of the night? I have no idea.

Ah, alas, on call doctors are prompt. RUN TO THE STORE, he said! Get some Benadryl. You are in for a rough night. Lovely. Off to the store, in the rain...

Unknown said...

benedryl and ice bath for that itching... don't ask how i know about that sort of thing. :)

hope you feel better soon!

it's the off season, so remember what the ultimate training goal is!

Rick Gaston said...

Ummm...Anthony how do you know about that sort of thing.

Jeez what a time you are having. Well at least you're getting it all out of the way before the holidays.

Grove Street Journal said...

I am happy to report that after two terribly itchy days, the rash has started to go away and I am hopeful that in the next few days I may have normal looking skin again.

I just don't know what is going on! Apparently I really needed some down time.

Unknown said...

but did you get pictures? besides, normal is boring. :)

rick: let's just say that road rash and poison oak don't play well together.

Grove Street Journal said...

Hospital pictures weren't enough? No, sadly, no rash pictures, however I have witnesses. Ask Chris. It was awful.

It was so bad when my dermatologist saw it he said, "Oh you poor thing."

Happy to report that it is almost all gone, AND I got to go for a ride today! Yippee!