Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Marin Century


6,250 feet of climbing over 104 miles. Top speed on a descent - 49 mph. 7:06 ride time.

I had witnessed cyclists doing the Marin Century in the past, but I had never done it myself. This year I wanted to change that and my dear friend and former colleague Bill Williams agreed to do it with me. This was quite a commitment for Bill, as it meant that I was to remain Aquabike Champion for another year. (The Aquabike event was scheduled the same day.)

Elisa, Bill and I met up with three other GGTCers, Kim, Kristin and Anthony at 6:30 am to commence our 100 mile adventure - the Marin Century Classic Course.

The route began on flat to rolling terrain before we were greeted with our first challenge of the day, a 1.5 mile and 430 foot climb to the Big Rock summit of Lucas Valley. This climb was followed by a fun descent through the redwoods into the ranches and grasslands of West Marin. The route then wound north through Nicasio and alongside Nicasio Reservoir.

The second climb of the day (1.4 miles and 380 foot gain) rolled up the Pt. Reyes-Petaluma Road over a summit and past the Cheese Factory before turning north onto Hicks Valley Road and our first rest stop of the day at mile 20.

The ride continued out Hicks Valley Road. Rolling hills and sparsely traveled roads brought us through ranch country and open space before the route turned west and headed past the Walker Ranch to the infamous “Marshall Wall”. This climb is steep, 700’ high. Just when you think you are at the top more hill appears. From the ridge riders would have been treated to spectacular views back down into the sweeping grassland hills of Marin, had it not been for wall-to-wall fog, to the point where my sunglasses needed wipers. If the fog not obstructed the view, from the top of the Marshall Wall, we could have seen Tomales Bay, Point Reyes National Seashore and the Pacific Ocean. The descent down the west side of the Marshall Wall to Highway 1 was fast and fun.

The route on Highway 1 rolled north over a series of rollers along Tomales Bay where we crossed Walker Creek. Thereafter, the course turned inland to the quaint town of Tomales. There, the course turned west from Highway 1 and we rode the remote Franklin School – Valley Ford Road up and over one last ridge north to the second Rest Stop at Valley Ford at mile 50 and the halfway point for the day.

After refueling and regrouping, we set back out towards Petaluma. We rode on through relatively flat terrain (ok, it was really more rollers…) into the outskirts of Petaluma to the 3rd Rest Stop in Petaluma at mile 76.

Many at this rest stop warned us that there was a big hill awaiting us. Oh good! After we departed the third rest stop, we found ourselves at the foot of “Red Hill” on the Pt. Reyes – Petaluma Rd. This hill was a HOT climb. By now the fog had long burned off and the sun was BLAZING. The hill seemed to go on and on and on. We all agreed it was by far the hardest climb of the day, but it was not the last one! We had to climb a bit past the Cheese Factory on the way back to San Rafael, but enjoyed the descent back into Nicasio.

The course finished by reversing Lucas Valley Road. The climb was easier in this direction, and was a good way to end the day.

In the final miles back to San Rafael I was excited to note on my GPS watch that I was still moving at a pretty good clip (approximately 22 mph) and I felt like I could have kept going. A far cry from my first century, and a welcomed change.

We celebrated the ride with popsicles at the finish line. I was silently thanking Torsten for my heartrate restricted rides -- I definately felt more powerful and was longing for my next long ride. I know, who knew?

No comments: