Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday, Bloody Sunday


Paul, Chris, Di and I planned a mountain bike ride weeks ago, as we wanted to get out and do something other than swimming, road biking or running and were all looking forward to the ride.

We were a bit concerned driving to Annadel State Park in Santa Rosa as there was a slight marine layer, however our fear of a cold ride quickly diminished as the sun broke through and it turned into a gorgeous day.

I made the mistake of commenting as we set out that I was sure to be a bloody mess upon our return. Nice work. I know better than that.

The ride was gorgeous. Just beautiful. We started out with what Paul labeled an easy climb (I did not find it all that easy!) for a few miles, and then did a bit more serious climbing as we left the fire roads and hit the single track. We climbed, climbed, climbed to the top, with the boys in front and Dian and I bringing up the rear, chatting most of the way.

We all found it amusing that as much as we all workout, all of us were way out of our heart rate zones while riding up to the top.

The ride down was thrilling and exhilarating, and rather technical. There were a lot of rocks on the trail and after a challenging little turn I yelled out a "whoo hoo" and then found myself sliding across the trail, still clipped into my bike. Nice. I was fine, or at least I thought I was and I immediately crashed again. Someone was tired and clearly done riding for the day. I looked a mess - bloody palms, knees, shins and a nasty 'trail rash' on my right forearm, but was ok. I was so embarrassed to have crashed not once, but twice. Lovely.

After a short detour (ok, we were a bit lost), we made our way back to the cars and had a fabulous post-ride meal at Small Shed Flatbreads in Mill Valley.

Regardless of my inability to stay upright on my bike, the day was a blast. Paul always lights up when out on his mountain bike and Chris was clearly enjoying himself as well. Di and I always have fun together -- so it was a great day all around.

Then I had to tell Torsten why I missed my swim. I have to imagine mountain biking is not coach approved...

No comments: