Saturday, August 18, 2007

Santa Cruz Seal Training


Paul recently informed me that the Navy Seals recruit Ironman triathletes because of their endurance and dedication to training. This was not, however, the type of 'seals' we encountered in Santa Cruz.

During the swim portion of the TMF training day I discovered that Dian does not like swimming with seals and/or sea lions when seal popped up in our 'path' during our swim. This surprised me, because Dian is such a strong, independent woman and I didn't think anything would get to her.

Coach Neil put together a swim/bike/run workout for those planning to participate in either Big Kahuna and/or Sentinel next month in Santa Cruz. As Chris had been talking about checking out the swim prior to the Sentinel race, we all decided to head down for the day.

The day began with a crazy caravan down to Santa Cruz. Chris and Jake led the pack, followed by me and Ashli in one car and Paul and Dian in another. Our personalities all came through in the speed at which we traveled south. Needless to say, Chris was GONE. Ashli and I cruised down at a good clip, but we couldn't keep up with Chris due to 'someones' traffic school situation. Paul and Di followed Coach Neil down who was, of course, driving the speed limit.

There was a pretty good turn out for the workout -- including the usual suspects. Good thing Elisa wasn't there. Ha!

The swim with the seal was followed a ride up Highway 1 - either 40K or 56 miles. What a GORGEOUS bike ride. It was amazing, but incredibly windy headed northbound. Chris asked me if the wind had ever bothered me on my tri bike when I saw him at the 40K turnaround to which I answered no. Spoke too soon! About 3 miles later, as I continued up Highway 1, a gust of wind blew me right off the road. (No injuries this week -- thank goodness. I can't take anymore right now.)

Paul, Di and I all were on heart rate restriction for the ride - which meant a lot of solo ride time - and a lot of "me" thinking time. I do my best thinking on the road and today I justified, in my mind, the purchase a new road bike. I can't stop thinking about it! Chris is in the same boat, and Paul is right there as well. (Paul and I are disasters, as we play off one another about bikes and equipment.)

Once I reached the turn around point on my ride, I FLEW back to Santa Cruz with the wind at my back. It was a half an hour faster on the return trip than it was on the way out.

The views were amazing, the company wonderful as usual and the day left me very much looking forward to Sentinel. I can't wait.

2 comments:

MomPhD said...

Hello sister dear! Cool blog!

What's with that Chris guy? Such facial expressions! He seems like a bit of a goofball.

Try not to fall off your bike anymore.

Grove Street Journal said...

You're funny dear sister.

I am trying to avoid further injuries -- at least until the current ones are all healed.