Sunday, August 5, 2007

Vineman 70.3


The days leading up to race day were full of anxiety -- something that doesn't happen often. I could not sleep and I was not hungry. I discovered it wasn't only me and felt a bit better about it, as at least I was in good company.

Each day the Vineman 70.3 website was consulted as to the current temperature of the Russian River. If the water temperature was 78 degrees on race day, wetsuits would not be allowed.

Saturday pre-race check-in was a hot one. As we walked about registering, purchasing Vineman logo goods, the newest equipment, and forgotten sunscreen, etc., the race directors continually announced the temperature of the River. 77.1 degrees, 77.2 degrees, 77.3 degrees... Elisa and I made the last minute decision to not wear wetsuits for the race and purchased Zoot Suit Skin Suits to swim in instead. We were definitely not following coach's orders of never trying something new on race day!

Paul, Dian, Elisa, Chris and I set up our run transitions and set out to our respective hotels to get ready for our pre-race dinner celebration at John Ash in Santa Rosa.

Before dinner, Elisa and I snuck in a quick dip in the hotel pool to try out the skin suits and looked like fools as we ran down the hotel hallway in flip flops and Zoot suits. The suits were a hit and we got ready for dinner.

Dinner at John Ash was wonderful -- perfect company and a celebration of friendship. We ate as many carbohydrates as possible and reveled in the excitement of race day's arrival. As the dinner came to an end you could see anxiety start to set in as our attentions turned to the next day's event.

Race morning started early... at 4:20 am.

Ashli, bless her heart, knowing of the difficult logistics of the race, had offered her time to chauffeur us around and cheer us on.

The race began with Dian and Elisa starting in one of the first waves, followed by Chris, then by me and then Paul.

While I can't speak for anyone else, I enjoyed almost every minute of the event. Not wearing a wetsuit made for a slower swim, but an easy transition at T1. The bike went quickly and smoothly. I love my new tri bike. The best part of the day -- the run, and everyone knows how much I dislike running.

The run is essentially is an out and back course that offers the only real opportunity to see your friends and teammates out on the course -- which makes the day. Ashli cheered on the start of my run as I left Windsor High School, and I thereafter spent most of my run looking for Chris, Di, Elisa and Paul, as well as my HIT teammates. Neil was everywhere on the run course, and the GGTC aid station was welcomed in both directions. It was so uplifting and rewarding to see everyone and hear people calling out your name, including M2 who was at the SF Tri Club aid station. I met some great people while on the run as well - Clay from Sacramento and Gordon from GGTC.

Even when the heat started to take its toll at mile 9, I was still smiling and having a great time. While I was disappointed that my legs started cramping and I had to walk/run the last two miles, I still met my goal for the race and was so happy to discover that everyone seemed pleased with their respective performances as well.

My favorite memory from the race -- one I will NEVER forget -- was seeing Chris on the run. I have never been so touched in my entire life.

The finish line was a moment of celebration with friends -- friends who I know will make the Ironman journey a memorable one, and friends who will remain in my life forever.

No comments: