Sunday, June 8, 2008

Escape from Alcatraz

I was SO UPSET when I didn't get into this year's Escape from Alcatraz. Out of me and five of my friends who had entered into the lottery, 4 received lottery slots to race. Poor me and Paul!

In order to avoid this issue next year, and to be able to cheer on those lucky participants who were racing, I opted to volunteer as a registration "Race Director," which allows me to bypass the lottery next year. I must say -- I have earned it.

We spent almost six hours stuffing the registration bags Thursday evening. I didn't crawl into bed until almost midnight, after having missed my workout and staying up way too late on a "school night."

I then spent the entire day Saturday working in the registration tent, which was a total debacle due to random shirt sizing. "The shirts ran big this year, so they say they are a size smaller than the shirt size you have requested. Rest assured, it's the right size." No one bought it.

Race day was a blast, however, as I was able to cheer my friends and GGTC teammates on full force, as my volunteer committment had ended at 7 am race day.

The weather could not have been more perfect.

I saw Jake, Wes and Chris come out of the water and chased Chris down to cheer him on as he ran back to his bike in T1. Chris had quite a cheering section, as his parents were in town, and many family and friends had come down to join in the fun.

I lucked out waiting at the finish line. While waiting for my friends, I maneuvered into a prime watching spot and saw Andy Potts and Leanda Cave win the event. Andy Potts was a fan favorite, as he ran around and gave all of us watching high fives. I have been praying that his high five has somehow transferred some of his triathlon excellence to me for a few weeks to get me through Coeur D'Alene. Ha!

I also ran into my coach, who was celebrating with his significant other, Leanda, who had won the women's event. He cracked me up as he grabbed my face and exclaimed, "this is what I like to see!" I must have looked confused because he then stated that I had the chiseled look of someone training for an Ironman. Please!

Everyone had a great race. Congratulations to Chris, Dian, Jake, Ashli and Wes! Now I can't wait for next year's event -- as I will be there too!

No comments: