Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Welcome to Idaho

We are off!

Our flight from the Bay Area to Spokane, Washington was quite entertaining. Triathletes are pretty easy to spot - the shaved legs, the Zoot tri bags, the incredibly fit bodies… and our flight was FULL of them.

We have arrived in Coeur D’Alene. It is BEAUTIFUL here. I find myself looking forward to my 112 miles on the bike to explore! (Alright, maybe not 112 miles, but many miles nonetheless.)

We arrived around lunch time and sought out the Coeur D’Alene Brewing Company, as many have told us we just had to go. While there we there, our waitress pointed out a local celebrity, Lee, who is a George Bush impersonator. Dian and I were more impressed with spotting Scott Rigsby, the first double amputee to complete an Ironman distance triathlon.

After lunch we took a little tour down to the Lake to check out the water temperature, as we have been hearing about it for months. Dian and Chris both stuck their hands in and said, “it’s not that bad.” I put my feet in – it’s COLD. I think it’s colder than the Bay, but I will find out for sure tomorrow morning when we jump in for a practice swim.

After a trip to the grocery store stock the house for the week, we settled for a bit before heading out for our 35 minute run requested by our coach. My IT Band has been aching a bit for the past few days, but I am hoping it’s due to my taper. Regardless, I had a great little run. Even Chris was surprised at the distance I covered in my 35 minutes. SWEET. (I know, I know… this is not the time to be running faster than normal.)

There were athletes EVERYWHERE. I saw tons and tons of people while out for my run, many of whom had been on our flight or we had seen around town since we arrived.

Chris’ parents arrive tomorrow and I am looking forward to a visit with one of my closest high school friends and her children, who live nearby in Spokane, Washington.

I think it is going to be a great week here in Coeur D’Alene!

2 comments:

Michele R. Unger said...

I am so excieted for you, Chris and your friends. I'm glad you got to C c'A safely and are settled into hour house.

Thinking of you constantly.

I love you.
Mom

Michele R. Unger said...

Okay, I can't spell....sorry.
Mom