Saturday, June 21, 2008

Race Eve

I awoke early this morning. Part of me wanted to sleep in but the other part of me wanted to get up early so I would be able to go to sleep early (hopefully). The part of me that wanted to be up won out. Too bad Chris wasn't on the same schedule.

We hit the water for a quick little dip about 8 am and were thrilled to discover that we have acclimated to the water or it has warmed a few degrees. Regardless, it was not as shockingly cold as it has been the past few days, so we were both pleased.

Race day eve is a bit of a hassle! All these bags to organize and plan out. You have to drop your transition bags and bike off the day before the race, so you really have to plan ahead. How many gels do I want? How many bars? Should I open the bars ahead of time? Be sure to cut the corner off the Clif Blocks (thanks Will)!

After the quick swim and short bike (where Chris and I attempted to take a photo of the two of us), I set out to organize my bags and Chris did his. Dian and I were cross checking to make sure we both had everything. I am so thankful to have friends here with me doing the same thing!

Post bag packing, bike drop off and t-bag drop off, we were off to the store to get ready for our final pre-race meal. We planned a very early bbq for Dian and Chris' parents. We managed to squeeze in a traditional family-gathering game of cards (I won!) and then set out for the resort to do our final prep and get ready for bed.

Didn't exactly stay off my legs today, but rather kept myself busy to avoid the pre-race panic. I remember feeling like this before my first half. I guess it's just the unknown of the longer distance.

Wish us a sound night of sleep and a lot of luck!

3 comments:

MomPhD said...

You're gonna rock it! I'll be thinking about you all day tomorrow!

Michele R. Unger said...

Listen to your sister! She's said it all....You are going to rock it!

I'll be sending love and positive energy to you all day and all night. Be strong, be happy and have fun.

Love,
Mom

Samantha said...

jeddy! i've been tracking everyone here in SF from the internet thing. hope you're having a great race/day/experience. it sounds good just leading up to it! i'm watching finish line video to see peeps. brian just crossed. i've been inside all day long just tracking you guys and getting text from dana and julia and jeff. crazy fun. very exciting - even via stupid web. :)